top of page

Century Program

Century Program.jpg

Our newest exhibit is visible throughout our community.  As you drive or walk around the Conneaut Lake area, you will begin to notice cast bronze plaques commemorating historic homes and buildings. Beginning in 2024, new honorees have been added each year. Please consider applying to add your home or historic building to this collection.  We welcome questions and applications.

​

Going forward, we will be designing a new exhibit in the museum to share photos and information on each of these structures.  We are also building our archives to include their fascinating histories.

#1. TOWN HALL (present)

HIGH STREET COMMUNITY CHURCH (past)

395 High Street, Conneaut Lake

1864

 

In the early 1800s, the small town of Evansburg had two Presbyterian churches, one on Fifth St. and the other on High St.  The High St. church, known as the Seceder Church, started in a log meeting house built by the community that served several Protestant congregations.  With a growing congregation, the Seceders built their own church in 1826 on Jacob Shontz’s property, on the southeast corner of what is now Lakeview Cemetery

​

As the years passed, needing a larger house of worship, the congregation purchased the lot on the southeast corner of Fourth and High Streets for $75 ($1,850 in today’s dollars) and began construction. The building was erected by their own church members.  In 1864, their new United Presbyterian Church was dedicated.  In 1869, when music became permissible, a small pump organ was obtained and a choir was formed.  In 1925, to provide for much needed space, it was decided to jack up the church building and dig out a basement by hand.  Long wooden beams were inserted, and with large mechanical jacks, the building was slowly lifted.  In 1980, responding to continued pressure to merge with the Fifth St. Presbyterian Church, the congregation decided to withdraw from the Presbyterian Church and become an independent Community Church.

​

High Street Community Church welcomed many community events over the years, including ice cream socials and annual quilt shows.  In 1981, the Stilly house and property adjacent to the church were purchased for $19,500.  This house was removed in 1998 with a controlled burn by the Conneaut Lake Volunteer Fire Department.

​

The congregation continued to grow and by 2007, they outgrew the High Street Church.  A larger facility was built southwest of town on Rt 322, eight times the size of its former home, called Lighthouse Community Church.

In 2013, Ron and Gayle Anderson and family purchased the deteriorating former United Presbyterian building on High Street to preserve its history.  The following year, after spending a half a million dollars to restore it, they turned it over to the Conneaut Lake Borough Council to be used as its new Town Hall.  The mail floor is used for Borough Council meetings, the Borough Polling location and is available and enjoyed for many community and private events.  The lower floor houses the Borough offices, Conneaut Lake Joint Municipal Water and Sewer Authority, meeting rooms and other available office space.

​

Conneaut Lake’s Town Hall is a consistent reminder of our town’s appreciation of history and the vision and generosity of Ron and Gayle Anderson and family and all who made this project a reality.

#2. RALSTON’S HARDWARE

195 Water Street, Conneaut Lake

1910

 

The Business Ralston’s Hardware was started by Wilson Ralston in 1888.  Its first location was in the Stratton Building, on the southeast corner of Third Street and Water Street.  In 1902, the business moved to the Independent Order of Oddfellows (IOOF) Building, on the west side, first floor.  In 1903, due to ill health, Mr. Ralston formed a partnership with William First.  At that time, the business was valued at $3,727 ($131,400 in today’s dollars).  In 1910, they dissolved the partnership, Mr. First stayed at the IOOF location, and Wilson Ralston moved to his new location, on the southwest corner of Second Street and Water Street, on a lot of Mrs. Charles Tiffany, where the previous building had been destroyed by fire.  Mr. Ralston built a two story, red brick structure and began conducting business. The building is still Ralston’s Hardware and the business is still going strong.

​

Wilson and his wife Elsie May DeArment Ralston had 5 children, Paul and Carl, who took over running the business, Hazel, who ran the billing and accounting side of the business, Ray, who was a teacher in Pittsburgh and upon retirement joined his family in the business, and Maye, who was a teacher in Youngstown.  The only grandchild of Wilson and Elsie was Paul’s son Wilson, who graduated from Conneaut Lake High School in 1955 and went on to pursue an illustrious career in design engineering.

​

In 1924, a warehouse room was added to the rear of the building, to provide space to ever increasing inventory.  In 1937, an appliance room, 16’ x 75’ was added to the west of the main building to house and sell the new inventory of appliances, such as washing machines, dryers as well as the very new and popular feature; radios.  KDKA, the first commercially licensed radio station, began in Pittsburgh in 1920 and Conneaut Lake residents were eager to experience this national sensation, broadcasting news, music and sporting events.  Radios were exceptionally complex in the early years, and Paul was known to be an expert at repairing them.  In 1947, Ralston’s began selling Philco television sets with an 8” picture.  Reception was possible via a 50’ rooftop antenna and for a time, the only station available was one that broadcast Cleveland Indians baseball games. 

​

Through the years, Ralston’s Hardware was known as the local meeting place, where folks would gather and talk about local news, events and anything else that came up in conversation. That tradition has remained in our community.

​

In 1969, Charles and Erda Holabaugh purchased Ralson’s Hardware. Their son, Richard and his wife Paula now run the business and are continuing the long tradition.

#3 JOHN AND PAM LEASURE’S HOUSE

195 South Fourth Street, Conneaut Lake

1894

 

The property at 195 South Fourth Street was once owned by Abner Evans, who founded Evansburg, which was later renamed Conneaut Lake.  The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania deeded the land to Evans in 1800.

​

The property had no building on it until 1894 when the present home was built.  It changed hands several times until Gustavus Brown sold the property to the Ittel Family in 1940.  Gail Ittel Fales, who lived in the home for many years with her family and then owned it until 2023, remembers Mr. Brown told them the home was in “A-1 shape” and needed nothing done to it. It did have a hole in the roof which he repaired with tar paper.  Gail pointed out that the home had no heat, no electricity, no indoor toilet and no running water, but did have an outhouse.

​

A brick home, the house had a wrap around porch originally.  The home was later changed to have a porch on the west side. The two-story home had three bedrooms, two bathrooms and an attic and basement. Extensive remodels were done by the Ittel family after the purchase.  Later, John Shrock remodeled the home to add an enclosed porch in the rear.  Gail noted the windows were the original windows in 2023 and the locks were original as well.  The house is believed to be one of the oldest houses in the borough.

​

PennDOT had planned to take the house in 1985.  The reason given was the large number of accidents in that area, but statistics discounted that claim.. Gail Fales fought PennDOT on behalf of her mother who owned the house at that time, and was successful.  PennDOT then installed rumble strips in that area on Route 322 coming east into town instead.

Gail became the owner of the house after her mother died.  She sold it to John and Pam Leasure in 2023.  The Leasures are in the process or remodeling.

#4. JAMES AND DARLENE ROSS

345 North 2nd Street, Conneaut Lake

1885  

 

This majestic house overlooking Conneaut Lake was built in 1885 by the Dennis family.  The property was an original purchase from the Holland Land Company and ran north and into present Aldina Drive.  Two generations of the Dennis family operated a lumber company at the rear of the house.  One of the lumber sheds was converted into apartments and remains to this day. The cabinet shop was converted into an efficiency apartment and also remains. All other sheds were eventually torn down but several foundations still remain. Fireman’s Beach was called Dennis Beach until the late 1950s.There were six Dennis children, including two sets of twins.  Evelyn Dennis, one of the twins lived at the Methodist home until her death. Three of the girls never married, the fourth died in her early years.  The boys ran the lumber business and all had homes nearby; Bob Dennis lived next door, Al and Lou on Maple Street, Carl about 4 doors north on 2nd St.  They loved their home and the three Dennis sisters lived here most of their lives.  Their nieces and nephews nicknamed the home “The Aunt Hill” and many family gatherings took place there.  Crippling arthritis forced them to sell the house, but they reserved neighboring space to the south and moved into a trailer they installed on that lot.  They sold the house to the Ross family in 1968 and enjoyed knowing there would still be a set of twins living there (Mike and Jim). It remained in the Ross Family when Jim purchased it from his mother in 1986

​

Construction:  A look around the full basement is a study in construction techniques of days gone by.  The foundation is constructed from large field-stones and there are three main beams approximately 10 inches square running the full length and width of the house.  These are hand hewn and supported by hefty wooden posts in various areas throughout the spans. All the floor joists are rough cut 2 x 10 and almost impossible to drive a nail into.

​

All the interior walls were plaster and lath finished. Horsehair was apparent in the plaster.  Extensive remodeling involved removing much of the old plaster.  It was interesting to find that all the exterior walls were sheeted on the inside with ¾” rough cut planks, some as wide as 16” and 10’ long.

​

Alterations:  A fire damaged the front portion of the house in the middle of the 20th century.  The necessary rebuilding resulted in the house in its present form.  The front porch, an addition to the living room including the fireplace, and the back porch were all added after the fire.  The aluminum siding may have been installed around that time as well.  A story related to the front porch involves building the radius floor and roof profiles.  The carpenters had difficulty forming the radius without the boards cracking.  The problem was solved by soaking the lumber in the lake for a week or so.  The soaked wood then took the radius form with no problem.

​

More recent remodeling included more efficient heating, electrical and kitchen upgrades and some restoration of original woodwork such as refinishing hardwood floors hidden for many years by rugs or carpeting. Recent remodeling, converting a pantry into a laundry room, revealed the name “Lee Dennis” and the date 1948 under some thin ceiling paneling.  Lee, a devoted member of the historical society,  and a direct descendent of the original Dennis clan who built the house, likely worked on that room.

​

James Ross purchased the house in 1986 and resides there with his wife, Darlene.

#5. BERRY BASKET/BLUE HERON ART GALLERY (present)

ODD FELLOWS BUILDING (past)

207-211 Water Street, Conneaut Lake

1901

 

The former Odd Fellows Building on Water Street in the borough of Conneaut Lake, currently owned by Joannie Kozlowsky, was built in 1901.  It houses various spaces for businesses.  During the 1920s, the first floor was occupied by Rankin Drug Store and the Conneaut Lake Breeze.  The 2nd floor was occupied by I.O.O.F (Independent Order of Odd Fellows) Lodge.  In the 1930s and 40s, the first floor was occupied by Garber Drug Store and the Conneaut Lake Breeze.  The 2nd floor was I.O.O.F. Lodge.  During the 1950s the Freehauf’s Drug Store and the Conneaut Lake Breeze were on the first floor while the I.O.O.F remained above them.

​

The 1960s saw a change in the space occupied by the drug stores.  Continental Restaurant came in while the Conneaut Lake Breeze remained on the 1st floor and I.O.O.F on the 2nd floor. In the 1970s, 80s and 90s, Maggie’s Sub Shop then The Whole Darn Thing and the Berry Basket occupied the 1st floor. The Whole Darn Thing then moved to Meadville and Tinks Sub Shop opened up in the 90s and early 2000s.  Once Tinks moved out, the space was occupied by Lakeside Sweets for many years and then followed by Lavender Blue and Kettle Lake Kitchen.  The space is currently occupied by The Blue Heron Art Gallery and the Berry Basket remains next to it.

#6. HOTEL CONNEAUT

12241 Lake Street, Conneaut Lake

1903

 

Hotel Conneaut was originally built is 1893 and called Exposition Hotel.  It was was described as “Natures Resort” and had a 450-foot wrap around veranda with rocking chairs for people to relax and enjoy beautiful Conneaut Lake which was only 50 yards away.  It had 300 rooms for guests.  The name was changed to Hotel Conneaut in 1903.

The hotel is described as a great example of nostalgic architecture.  The three-story hotel had many special areas in the early years, a billiards room, a barber shop, the Crystal Ballroom, the lobby which includes a large bookshelf for guests, a special reading room which later was changed to a tv room, a dining room downstairs and a cocktail lounge off the main lobby.

​

Over the years there have been many renovations to the rooms and other areas of the park, but it maintained the charm of yesteryear and the charm of the lakeside.  An annex, known was built in 1907.  At that point the hotel was said to provide rooms for a total of 1,000 people.  However, 2/3 of the hotel was destroyed by a fire in 1943 when it was struck by lightning.  It was unable to be rebuilt because wood was being rationed because of the war and was not available.

 

The hotel was under private ownership until a group of businessmen bought it and took over in the 1990s.  However, that group ended up filing for bankruptcy and eventually it was purchased by Gary Harris who donated it to the people of northwestern Pennsylvania in 1997.  A board of directors was named to operate the park.  From there, it struggled with finances that ended up closing the park at times. The hotel was leased to private operators by the board for several years.Conneaut Lake Park, including Hotel Conneaut was purchased by Todd Joseph in 2021 and he has done major renovations to the hotel, including painting, interior decorating, roof and porch repairs, air conditioning, extensive landscaping and more modern upgrades.

​

While the history of the hotel includes all the remodels and renovations, the purpose of the hotel remains the same:  to provide a beautiful place for visitors to relax while enjoying the area.  It has also been a perfect place for beautiful weddings and is known as one of the nicest venues for parties, fundraisers, dances and other special events.

 

It also has a unique history which continues to keep people interested and talking – the idea that the hotel is haunted by spirits who show up from time to time.  The most famous of these is Elizabeth, the bride who allegedly perished in the 1943 fire while waiting for her fiancé to rescue her so they could be married.  She was wearing her wedding gown, according to the legend.  However, there is no record of anyone dying in the fire.  Other spirits have been known to visit occasionally – a child on a tricycle, a ballroom dancing couple, a soldier, a “crazy” cook and others.  Many guests have reported unexplained temperature changes, orbs of light visible in photos, doors opening and closing and items inexplicably  being moved.  National paranormal experts have visited on several occasions and have declared they have seen the spirits who are said to not want to leave the special place.

#7. LAKESIDE BEAUTY SALON (present)

FOUST SCHOOL (past)

10853 Rout 18, Conneaut Lake

1877

 

The former Foust School, located on Rt. 18 on the East Side of Conneaut Lake, was built in 1877.  It was a one room schoolhouse for grades 1st – 6th.  There were a number of teachers who taught local students at this school. Mrs. Monnie was a teacher in the 1930s.  Miss Stright was a teacher in 1939 and 1940.  Miss Stright was also an active member of the Trinity Methodist Church intown.  When the school closed in 1947 the teacher was Wilda C. Bailey. 

​

The role of teacher in those days included much more than just teaching.  Some of their duties, for example, included bringing in coal and wood to heat the school, pumping water for the students to drink, cleaning the school and ordering supplies.  Some of the local families with children who went through the Foust School are Rosen, Livingston, Wigle, Foust and Prather to name a few.  There were 44 students enrolled when the school closed in 1947.  After the school closed, it was sold and added onto and turned into a home.

​

The current owners, Kevin and Artie VanHonk, bought the building in 1990.  After renovations of the school portion of the building, Artie opened Lakeside Beauty.  During renovations, they found an old school desktop, an old flashcard for the word “you” and they uncovered an original tin ceiling.  When you are in Lakeside Beauty, you can envision the old schoolhouse and the students sitting at their desks.

Vacavi Cafe.JPG

#8 VACAVI CAFÉ

100 Water St, Conneaut Lake

1908

 

The first record of buildings on the northwest corner of Water St and 1st St is the Ice Cream Parlor owned by the Moss family.  Fred Moss came to Conneaut Lake from Canada in 1886 at the age of 22 and promptly began building businesses to meet the needs of Conneaut Lake residents and visitors.  Behind the Ice Cream Parlor, along the lakeshore was the Moss Boat Livery.  He built 3-4 boats that year which he rented to fishermen.  The business quickly grew.

​

In the following years, the corner 25’ lot was owned by Selena Moss Rogers and her brother Fred J. Moss owned the 40’ lot to its west.  In the early 1900s, that 65’ area, from east to west, housed William J. Bealer’s Barber and Tailor Shop, Henry Bert Terrill’s Billiard Parlor and Restaurant and James Eastlake’s residence.

​

Late at night in September 1907 a fire broke out in Bealer’s Barber and Tailor Shop.  By the time it was discovered, it was well underway.  The call was immediately made to the Meadville Fire Department. In the meantime, a valiant bucket brigade, the town’s only local fire protection, rushed to the scene to fight the fire.  Despite their efforts, the fire spread to the entire 65’ of the block, destroying the buildings.  The Meadville Fire Department had been delayed securing a Bessemer engine and by the time they were ready to depart, they were called and informed the fire was under control.

John Richards bought the now vacant lots, joined William J. Bealer and promptly erected a two-story brick “business block’ with approximately 66’ of frontage along Water St. There were very few brick buildings in town at that time.  In fact, the number of vacant lots created by various fires far outnumbered the number of brick structures.  So, there was a sense of urgency, due to numerous fires and the lack of a local fire engine, to build resilient structures.  Two other brick structures built around that time were the IOOF building on the southwest corner of Water St and 2nd St, a small brick structure to the west of that and the new Bank building on the northwest corner of Water St and 2nd St. 

​

In the early years, this brick building housed Mr. T. Fred Armour’s Grocery and Mrs. Ida Pinney’s Conneaut Lake Restaurant.  In the 1920s to 1040s, Harshaw-McLane’s Hardware and Corey’s Grocery occupied the space.  By 1944, Ewing’s Department Store became a fixture in town and remained there until 1966.  Foulks Bakery opened in 1966, moving from another location in town, and remained until 1975.  In 1976, Horrobin’s Tackle Shop opened and remained until the early 2000s.

​

In 2007, the building was purchased by S&W Residential (Greg Sutterlin and Dick Williams)

​

In 2011, it was sold to Baja Atlantic (the Sperry family), having been vacant for several years.  In November of that year, extensive renovation began, the building being totally gutted.  The brick exterior was removed, repaired and replaced as well an entire redo inside.  The original painted bricks with the name “Foulks” were retained and holds a place of honor inside the café.

​

It was completed in April, 2013 and Jason and Betsy Sperry opened Vacavi Café.

​

In 2015, Maria Keltner took the reins of the business and has successfully run it up to the present.  Jen and David Schepner purchased the property in 2021.

​

Vacavi stands as a treasured gathering spot of Conneaut Lake, serving delicious beverages, sweets, a spectacular view of the lake and always a friendly welcome and spirited conversations.

Marquette Bank.JPG

#9 MARQUETTE SAVINGS BANK

210 Water St, Conneaut Lake

1908

 

The property was originally owned by Abner Evans, followed by his son-in-law Adam Steward who lived on the site.  Rosanna Mushrush later ran a Hotel/Bar.  During that time, she gave birth to twin daughters and named them Desolate and Lonely, perhaps a testament to her state of discouragement. They each became teachers and later married.  Upon Rosanna’s death in 1841, her the property went to Desolate Raydure and Lonely Stafford.

​

In 1847, the property was sold to George Stewart of Bradford for a sum of $400.  In 1882, Mr. Stewart began building a 3-story building, planning several businesses on the first floor, a residence on the second floor and a public space on the third floor.  As construction was nearing completion, a hurricane hit and the building was destroyed.  Two of the eleven men working on the building were killed and Stewart suffered serious injuries.  A makeshift hospital was set up at the Conneaut Lake House, west of the building.  Mr. Stewart never fully recovered, and later that year, he sold the property to Mr. Chillcott.  It was later sold to Joseph and Laura Belle. 

​

The Arlington Hotel was built in 1902, Proprietor TJ Miller, later Joseph Chilcott.  Rooms were $1 per day; meals were 35 cents.  A large hall was available for entertainment.  Just west of the Arlington was built the Commercial Hotel, Mr. Reany, Proprieter, in 1885 which contained a Millinery Shop run by Misses Grace and Edna Loziers.

​

In December 1906, a fire broke out in the Millinery Shop and quickly spread to all three establishments. The courageous bucket brigade finally contained the fire, but not before significant damage occurred from Third St to Memorial Park. 

The property on the corner of Second St and Water Street was sold to CH Dennis for $1,900.  Dennis was the President of First National Bank of Conneaut Lake since 1903.  Prior to that, Evansburg Saving and Loan had failed in 1893.  Conneaut Lake had been without a bank for ten years. Mr. Dennis had managed his bank across Water St in a small 2 story brick building just west of the IOFF Building.  He saw the opportunity for a newer, larger bank on the site of the previous fire.  Construction of the new building was promptly begun and was completed in June 1908.

​

The stately two-story red brick building was consistently a bank through the years up until present time.  First National Bank, originally on the south side of Water St, thrived in its new location until 1932 when its assets were liquified.  In its place stood a successor of the same name, but a different charter number.  In later years, First National Bank merged with Merchant’s Bank and Trust of Meadville in 1962, Pennsylvania Bank in 1969, Integra in 1989 and National City in 1996.  In 2009, it was purchased by Marquette Savings Bank, which it remains today.

​

Some of the events of note through the years were:

​

1940                 fire damaged the interior, necessitating an extensive remodel,  a new safe was purchased

1947                 an unsuccessful attempt to cut into the vault from the basement occurred, which was the only robbery attempt at the bank

1953                 the first drive through window in the area was installed

1973                 new teller stations were designed and installed

                        New exterior sign and clock was installed

                        Drive through lane was widened and enhanced

1985                 new safe deposit boxes were installed

 

Marquette Savings Bank remains a trusted pillar in Conneaut Lake in a beautiful, stately building.

Ellis Home.JPG

#10 Ellis Home

775 Water St. Conneaut Lake

1923

​

The Ellis Home is located in the borough of Conneaut Lake.  It was built in 1923. Old deeds show that Frank Ackerman and Mellon, Reid Est. owned it then. Then Harry Carless took ownership. The Allen family had the longest tenure of ownership- 1952-1994. Next Michael and Misty Shaw owned it until 1997 when they sold it to Wayne and Helene Grieser. The current owners Don and Judy Ellis then took ownership in 1998. The house has original floors and woodwork. There are original pocket doors between the living room and dining room. The dining room has a beautiful bay window with a window seat with storage underneath.

Barber Home.jpeg

#11. BARBER HOME

East Side, Conneaut Lake

1899

​

The Dreutlein/ Barber cottage on the East side of Conneaut Lake was built in 1899. The original owners were Henry and Caroline (Worst) Dreutlein. Henry was a prominent Meadville citizen from Germany. His businesses included tobacco, oil, and gas. He also had roles in the Conneaut Lake Ice Company and the Conneaut Lake Improvement Company. Henry passed away in 1919 and his wife Caroline passed away in 1935. The cottage has remained in the family through 4 generations. It is currently owned by Susan Hays Barber, Henry and Caroline’s great-granddaughter. It is surmised that the cottage may have been built on an old Indian mound. While excavating for the building of the cottage 3 skeletons were found. They were badly decayed except for a skull with a full set of teeth. The 6-bedroom cottage remains essentially the same except for the front porch being enclosed. It still has original architectural features. The ceilings and walls in the cottage are covered with original beadboard. The dining room and living rooms have fireplaces. There is a built-in cabinet in the dining room. The out-buildings includes a barn with sliding doors for easy maneuvering of horses and carriages. The upstairs of the barn was once used as sleeping quarters for the horse groomer-coachman. There is also an old toolshed and two-seater outhouse. The house sits on land that once was along the lakefront Inside Road which ran from Shore Acres to a bit South of Oakland.

#12 SWISSVALE COTTAGE

KAREN FABIAN HOME

Center St, Conneaut Lake

C.1922

​

The Swissvale Cottage is situated on Center St. on the West side of Conneaut Lake and is currently owned by Karen Fabian. The Swissvale was built in 1922. Mary Dosch of Pittsburgh owned it until 1928. An ad in the Conneaut Lake directory of the day described Swissvale Cottage as- “One of the best known and most popular rooming cottages at CL. Shaded yard away from the noise and dust of the park, but close to the lake, stations, and amusements.” Next R.F. Brown of Tampa Florida took ownership. The cottage’s name was then changed to Tampa Cottage. It was then sold to Barbara Miller in 1930. She changed the name to Southside Cottage. Mrs. B. Holden of Pittsburg owned it 1937-1941 and called it The Garfield. In 1951 Wm. E. and Dorothy Black of Pittsburgh took ownership. We know that during the ownership of the Black’s that the cottage was a boarding house for women who worked at the park. See the attached list of rules for the women who stayed there. There was a period of time when the cottage fell to disrepair. During the ownership of John and Patty Fleece the cottage got new life with renovations. Edward and Janice Brewer then owned the cottage until 2019 when Karen Fabian took ownership.

​

Boarding House Rules for Women Working at Conneaut Lake Park

*Checking out time 12:00                                                                                                                                          

*In the event of undue trouble of any nature, we reserve the right to terminate your stay upon   one (1) hour verbal notice. There will be no refund.                                                                                              

*Drinking is not permitted in rooms.                                                                                                               

*There are (2) towels and one wash cloth for each person in a room. Tenant must pay for any shortage. 

*Please do no pressing in rooms. This may be done in living room.                                                          

*Please hang wet bathing suits in side yard.                                                                                                

*Guests are welcome to use the front porch and the yard. Girls are not permitted to have boyfriends on the front porch after 11:00 pm. And no visitors are permitted in the house, under any circumstances.

Shields Home.jpg

# 13 THE BENJAMIN SHIELDS HOME

FORMERLY OWNED BY THE CONNEAUT LAKE ICE COMPANY

12833 Conneaut Lake Road, Conneaut Lake

1877

 

The Benjamin Shields house, located at 12833 Conneaut Lake Road was built in 1877 and has a historic past.  It is unknown who had the house built, but the deeds recorded in the Crawford County Courthouse indicate three prominent owners.  Sarah Reed, of Erie fame, whose father was instrumental in the building of the French Creek Feeder and Erie Extension Canal, bought it in 1893.  She then sold it to A.C. Huidekoper in 1897.   The mystery of ownership continues as the Conneaut Lake Ice Company, that had formed in 1878, took ownership somewhere after 1897.  They owned the property until Feb 15, 1919 with the demise of the ice business.  With that sale began a long list of owners until 2022 when Shields bought the house

​

Today it is a private residence, constructed of red brick, with 11 rooms, 2 staircases, an attic and a basement.  Shields had to cut through four layers of wall to install a new electrical outlet.

Geneva Chapel.jpg

#14. GENEVA MEMORIAL CHAPEL

FORMER METHODIST CHURCH

15254 Church St, Geneva

1858

​

A Methodist Church was organized in 1810, meeting first in a school house, then a log cabin, followed by

a framed church east of the village built in 1820.

​

The church prospered and in 1858 Jacob Strayer purchased land just west of Geneva and he and his

wife, deeded about one acre of land for a new church building and burial ground.

​

He also cut the timber in his woods in back of the church and sawed the logs into lumber on his water

powered sawmill. He received the contract to build the church and when it was finished he paid the

men who worked on the church. John Ross shaved the pine shingles for the roof with a shaving horse.

The large frame church was built at a cost of about $1,200 with much of the material and labor donated.

A section of land was set aside to be used as a cemetery. Burials in the cemetery were done from 1858

to 1958.

​

The church was dedicated on August 27, 1858.

​

For more that 50 years, Ira Rhodes (D.C. Rhodes’ father) kept the shingles on the roof, put new glass in

windows, fixed all locks and hinges and helped mow the grass in the cemetery.

​

The original plans for the church building were two separate doors, making two aisles. On one side sat

the male members, on the other side sat the female members. Ira Rhodes told of going to a church

service with his best girl (later his wife) and they sat down together on the women’s side. It wasn’t long

before a class leader led him to the men’s side of the church.

​

About the turn of the century, the church was remodeled. A double door was built in the southeast

corner, a patrician was built making a small Sunday school room. The seating arrangement was changed

with new oak pews. An alcove built behind the pulpit gave more room. Later, a place was dug under the

church for a furnace room and a place for a light plant. The labor was furnished by F.A. McKelvey

(principal of Geneva High School and men’s Sunday school teacher), D.C Mushrush and D.C. Rhodes.

The interior of the church was remodeled with new carpet, new ceiling blocks, new siding on the walls,

all woodwork and floors refinished two stained glass windows were put in the alcove behind the pulpit

and new light fixtures installed.

​

The cemetery was laid out just east and north of the church building. Jacob Strayer’s daughter was the

first person buried in the cemetery.fThe church became part of a Methodist charge, sharing the pastor with another church. Even though

​

the church had to pay only part of the minister’s salary, sometimes it was difficult to secure the needed

funds. Often, the women would do quilting and other projects to help raise funds. Most of the upkeep

of the church was cared for by donated labor and several ministers lent a hand over the years.

The church suffered greatly from the loss of members caused by the Keystone Ordinance Works taking

over many of their homes, causing them to leave the area.

​

In 1968 the Methodist and Evangelical Brethren churches merged on a national level. This meant there

were two small churches of the same denomination, which wasn’t in the best interest of either church.

Following negotiation and advice from the Western Pennsylvania Methodist Conference, the two

churches united and chose to use the former United Brethren Church as the base for the United

Methodist ministry in Geneva.

​

The former Methodist Church was mothballed.

​

The land for the cemetery had been purchased by the Trustees of the Geneva Memorial Cemetery in

The cemetery had outgrown its original plot east of the church and expanded to the north and

1945. west.

​

In 1988 the property was transferred to the Geneva Memorial Association for $1 to be used as a funeral

chapel. The chapel has had limited use. It is the base for the association’s annual

homecoming/community picnic which is held the fourth Saturday in June. For a few years, it served as a

polling place for elections in Greenwood township. The association has assumed responsibility for the

upkeep, hoping that perhaps it would be used more.

​

New roof, siding and main exterior doors have maintained the basic integrity of the original structure.

The sanctuary is basically unchanged from the original design with stained glass windows behind the

pulpit area and on the front of the building. Windows along the side walls are hammered glass which

admits light but does not permit a view of the outside.

Visit Us.jpg
Join.jpg
Contribute.jpg
Contact.jpg
Subscribe.jpg
  • Facebook
  • Instagram

Conneaut Lake Area Historical Society
150 N. 3rd St. 
Conneaut Lake PA. 16316

 

 

Website Updated:  11/8/2025
 

Copyright © 2021 - 2025 Conneaut Lake Area Historical Society - All Rights Reserved.

bottom of page